The To-Do list is a time honored tradition with many people. Years ago, a dear friend taught me that the trick to feeling you’re on top of your to-do list is to make the first item: “Make List.” Then when your list is finished, you cross that off and think, “Wow look how well I’m doing! One thing down already.”
I’ve’ accomplished a lot this weekend, thank goodness, and it occurred to me that something that might be even more helpful in many ways would be a Got-Done list, particularly so when you run out of steam and sit in your chair thinking “What the heck did I do today??” and feeling guilty for not doing enough. Then you take out your Got-Done list and read all your accomplishments, and think, “I’m good.”
So here’s my Got Done list for the weekend, unfinished, I hope, because it’s still early and I’m starting to get my second wind.
Note: This list doesn’t include things I have to do every damn day like feeding the cats or brushing my teeth.
- Made Coffee.
- Cleaned up coffee maker.
- Persisted in rinsing dishes and putting them into the dishwasher instead of dumping them in the sink and hoping the cleaning fairies will wash them. I have sucky cleaning fairies.
- Put together a new clothes hamper, much to the amusement of Glinda and Karen.
- Started filling laundry bags in new hamper.
- Put together the shelving unit you see to the right. This took me about three hours, and involved one minor meltdown, some yelling, and a good deal of colorful language. But it’s hella cool, and hella useful anyway.
- Started putting things away in said storage unit.
- Because of #6 above, I began cleaning up the cat/utility room, which is nothing short of a miracle.
- Cleaned the litter boxes. Ugh. Worst job ever. Why can’t I train the cats to do this for themselves??
- Made lemon ice cream to test a review item. Nom.
- Made coffee again.
- Still rinsing dishes. Go me!
- Chose an old hamper to put all my dirty rags into. They’re really foul and need to be washed separately from anything else. With bleach. And boiling water.
- Walked around the house collecting dirty laundry of all sorts and tossing them into hampers.
- Walked around house collecting homeless lightbulbs and household electronics, and gave them homes.
- Did a bit of dusting.
- Installed new (for review) handles on a couple of cabinets and uninstalled them immediately since they were shite.
- Finished reading Magruder’s Cabinet of Curiosity.
- Reviewed Magruder’s Cabinet of Curiosity.
- Reviewed ice cream maker.
- Cut a mat out of Leo’s ruff.
- Reviewed new hamper.
- Reviewed new shelving unit.
- Bagged up a bunch of garbage. Not even close to being finished.
Look at that. I’m good!